The top 5 marketing ideas for small business, 2012
Coming up with marketing ideas for small business in 2012 can be a challenge. With the wide array of marketing options available, it is important to invest time and money into the most effective marketing ideas for your business.
This list will provide great marketing ideas for any small business, while being mindful of the major changes that have been occurring in the online world in 2012 - in particular with Google and the rise of mobile.
In addition, the Internet offers great options to market effectively without requiring a big budget. The trade-off, of course, is that you have to invest time and effort instead. However, the rewards for well implemented small business Internet marketing initiatives in 2012 can be huge.
Top 5 marketing ideas for small business
Let's start with a few interesting facts relating to Internet marketing, and marketing for small business in general:
- Despite the enormous potential of the Internet to reach people anywhere in the world, "local" search is becoming more and more popular - especially for small business
- Tablet sales will likely overtake PC sales sometime in 2013, for the first time ever
- Google is now open for product placement bidding above organic search results
With these major changes in mind, here is my list of the top 5 marketing ideas for small business in 2012:
1. Local advertising
Google has started to put more emphasis on the local influence of content. One of the best strategies for online growth is to "conquer" small pockets of the overall target market.
Going local helps to focus your marketing efforts and make your business more relevant to the people who are exposed to it.
Local marketing ideas
- Claim your free business listing on sites like Google Places and FourSquare.
- Become a member of the local chamber of commerce, and network like mad.
- Find and list with local search directories.
- Get reviews on sites that focus on localities, like Yelp.
- Learn to localize your SEO efforts.
2. Mobile advertising
More and more Web traffic is flowing through mobile devices. That trend is set to continue and quicken pace as more and more people start using tablets for their on-the-fly convenience.
Fortunately, you don't have to worry too much about redesigning your website from the ground up. Smart mobile devices are getting better and better at rendering normal web content, so users can still have a good browsing experience. But it doesn't hurt to check, right?
Mobile marketing ideas
- Check your website or blog on a range of mobile devices. If conversions are compromised, consider upgrading for mobile with Google's guidance.
- Build a database of SMS marketing numbers and use it to pass on great deals and discounts direct to customer phones for great engagement. Be careful to avoid spamming people.
- Use QR codes to get people to important landing pages. QR codes can be scanned by mobile devices and lead people to your "Deal of the week" page, or Twitter account.
- Social media is easily consumed by mobile devices. Ramp up your social media profile and get people tweeting with you from their phones.
- Don't forget about Bluetooth for some close proximity marketing.
3. Google paid product search
Google will now allow merchants to advertise their products above organic search results with paid product search facilities. This offers a great opportunity to get in front of customers before they even have to look at search results.
Get in as early as possible because you might struggle to outbid larger businesses as and when they wake up to the potential of paid product search.
Share this great article with people you like!
Think carefully about the value of appearing in paid product search results, and what it means if you don't... and your competitors are. Paid product placements are bid upon by merchants, so there is going to be some fierce competition for pole position.
Blogging might not sound as "sexy" as local and mobile marketing, but bear in mind that the vast majority of all Web traffic still originates from search. By maintaining a great blog, you will help to drive long lasting, highly qualified traffic.
Small business blogging is difficult to get the hang of initially. There are often little to no returns at the start. Be prepared to learn a lot, and persist, and it will likely become your most effective marketing tool.
Here are some great blogging articles that will teach you all you need to know:
- How to make money blogging
- Small business SEO tutorial: How to attract higher quality Google traffic
- Five top SEO tips for small business bloggers
- SEO Blogging tips: How to use Google analytics search data to inspire new content
- How to create award winning blog content from a small business 'Top mover'
5. Modern brochures, pamphlets, fliers
The last time I tried to print some fliers I nearly had a heart attack. Printing high quality double sided fliers was prohibitively expensive. Ok, so that was a little while ago...
Now printed marketing materials can integrate with Internet marketing campaigns - like email marketing.
By including QR codes on your posters and signs it is easy for customers with smartphones to sign up to your mailing list.
I've also been seriously impressed with some of the modern printing and design services that are available online. In some cases you can get a 24 hour turnaround time, and all of them offer quality guarantees too.
If you've been thinking about getting brochures into strategic places, or even about customized branding, then it's worth checking out what these great print and design companies can offer:
There's my top 5 marketing ideas for small businesses in 2012. Now it's your turn....
What great marketing ideas have you used for your business in 2012? Have you had great success? Found some methods to be better than others? Share your small business marketing experiences and suggestions in the comments below or join the conversation on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Our articles to your inbox each week
Follow SME Pals to keep tabs on the best business ideas, plus tips to build & market your business.
Ask us a question on anything and we'll give you a simple expert answer. FREE!